Sleep apnea is the serious form of snoring that affects your breathing pattern with your breathing becoming shallow. This ultimately leads to disrupted sleep resulting in daytime sleepiness, slow reflexes, poor concentration and increased risk of accidents along with high blood pressure, heart diseases, stroke and weight gain.
However, if detected earlier sleep apnea can easily be cured by self help ideas like the ones mentioned below. Read to know more.
- You should sleep lying down on your sides. Researches prove that sleeping on the sides reduces the risk of getting apnea and also is a part of its treatment. Specially designed pillows are now available along with other remedies such as the tennis ball tricks that eventually tend people to sleep on their sides.
- The second most important way to treat sleep apnea is to reduce your intake of alcoholic drinks, sedatives and tobacco. These are a major cause of sleep apnea as they lead to a relaxed throat, which is the basic cause of the snoring. The best possible treatment of apnea is to avoid intake of such things. Alcohol increases inflammation and fluid retention in the throat and upper airway.
- Try to have regular sleep hours and timings. Following simple habits such as taking a full 8 hour sleep and going to bed early are an effective way of getting rid from the disease and are a must for a sound sleep. This will also help you to relax and sleep better.
- Keep your weight in control. Obese people are prone to get sleep apnea however the condition can be considerably controlled by losing those extra kilos.
- Use thicker pillows. This is because keeping your head a little high (up to 4-6 inches) allows easy breathing thus reducing the chances of snoring.
- Do not consume caffeine or heavy meals at least two hours before you go to bed.
- Try keeping your nasal passages open by using nasal dilator, saline spray or breathing strips.
- Practice muscle exercises such as stretching your tongue along the roof of the throat and then pressing with fingers for a few minutes will reduce the intensity of the sleep apnea and will also strengthen the muscles in the airway thus increasing their functionality.
- If even after trying the simple self care techniques you find no relief from sleep apnea you should immediately consult your physician for proper help.
All of the above mentioned self help tips will help you to have a better sleep while enhancing your overall health.