Ringworm disease is a very common fungal infection, which occurs in both, children and adults but is more common in the former. It is often misunderstood that ringworm is caused due to worms. Ringworm can spread from one person to another through direct skin contact and through infected items. Ringworm lasts longer time if appropriate measures are not taken in time. Read this article to find the common symptoms and treatment of ringworm disease.
Almost any part of the body from scalp to nails can be affected by ringworm. Small children are more susceptible to the disease. It can spread through various things such as infected brushes, combs, seat backs and bath towels. While scalp ringworm caused by Microsporum, Epidermophyton and Trichophyton is the most dreadful ringworm, body ringworm is caused by Tinea corporis.
Symptoms of Ringworm: The symptoms of ringworm may vary depending upon the size of the body part that is infected.
- Ringworm is characterized by swelling, itching and baldness of skin
- A ring-like effect due to red discoloration around the skin is the most common symptom of ringworm
- Symptoms vary according to the site of infection
- Itchy, red scaly patches that may burst and blister
- Lesions sometimes may also be found away from the site of infection
- Appearance of dry, scaly, moist or crusty flaky sores
By taking the following precaution, you can avoid this disease.
Precautions and Home Remedies to be taken for Ringworm disease:
The treatment of ringworm depends up on extent of the infection and the location of the infection.
- Infected individuals should be kept away from public places like Gyms and Swimming Pools.
- They should avoid contact with other people.
- Children, if they are infected, should be quickly taken to the pediatrician.
- Mixture of Garlic, Vinegar, Olive Oil and herbs such as mint should be applied over the infected area. The mixture gives a cool sensation that soothes itchiness.
- Application of tea tree oil mixed with equal quantities of water is helpful in treating ringworm.
- Apply a paste of salt and vinegar over the infected area and allow it to dry for at least 5 minutes. This will effectively treat the disease within seven days.
- Aloe Vera is the most effective natural way to treat ringworm. Its juice should be applied over the infected area till the disease disappears.